The “Spud Bowl” was the college football field built by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) in 1936. CWA was one of the New Deal projects that came out of the Roosevelt administration. The photo below shows men scraping out the shape of the Spud Bowl.
The football field was renamed for William E. “Bud” Davis, who was Idaho State University President from 1965-1975.
The color photo at the bottom of this post is of Davis Field as it looks today. It has a seating capacity of 4,000 fans.