In February 1913, the Rupert Pioneer Record called it the “only school building in the world heated exclusively with electricity and having no other provision for other heat.”
The electrification of the high school was made possible by the nearby Minidoka Dam. The dam’s primary purpose was irrigation, but they didn’t let that pent-up energy go to waste. The dam was completed in 1904 without any method of generating power. The power turbines came along in 1909-1910, making the surrounding area one of the first rural areas in the US to have power.