Today we’re remembering some of the better-known people who spent time at the Railroad Ranch in Island Park.
On the left is Baroness Hilla von Rebay posing with a ranch horse. She was a noted abstract artist in the early 20th century and cofounder and first director of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City. Next is Guggenheim himself in a formal pose. He and his brothers Daniel and Morris purchased three cabin lots at the Railroad Ranch in 1906. The brothers sold out to the Harrimans, but Solomon retained his ranch share and properties until his death in 1949. The Guggenheims’ wealth came from copper mining.
On horseback are Charles Jones and his wife, Jenny. They built a guesthouse on the property formerly owned by Solomon Guggenheim in 1955. Jones ran Richfield Oil Corporation. The Harrimans purchased Jones’s share in 1961. After Charles Jones died in 1970, Jenny Jones donated the furnishings of the house to the State of Idaho. It is used today to orient visitors for tours and as a seasonal employee residence.